Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Joy in the Journey to Become-History September 6

Master Class- History September 6, 2013

Study all the following to increase your Knowledge

Just Like Jesus Chapter 7: Golf Game and Celery Sticks

Autodidactic Chapter 1 (some crude humor on page 32 and 33…please skip)

Latin Chapters 1-6

Make a list of all the words you don’t know from your readings and conversations this week. Look up the definition to every word. Pick one word and complete a word study. Carry around a 3X5 card with you and memorize all the words and their definitions.

Bring a copy of a magazine (The Ensign might be a good one) with you to class.

Increase your Understanding by choosing ONE from the following inspirements. Please come prepared to Teach the group about the following:

What is your goal? Brain storm every goal you can think of. Spend at least 15 minutes writing. Ideas?..spiritual goals, physical goals, emotional goals, school goals, religious goals, future goals, family goals, relationship goals. After the 15 minutes choose one goal and make a plan as to how you will accomplish this goal. Teach us what you learned and share your goal plan with the group.

Teach us one of the words from your list definition list. Why did you pick that word? How have you used that word this week? What did you learn from this exercise?

How is your curiosity? Make a list of all the things you can think of to increase your curiosity. Share the list with us in class. Pick one way and inspire us how we can use that way to become more curious.

Answer every question that Max Lucado asks in the chapter Golf Games and Celery Sticks. Bring your answers to class and share with us what you learn..

Make your own Lexicon. Share with us how you are going to do it. Bring your Lexicon to class. Teach us how/why we should make a Lexicon.

Become a servant of Christ by choosing ONE of the activities below to Serve others.

“If you don’t try, you don’t fail” Do one thing this week that you are KNOW you will fail at. If you fail, do it again. Keep doing it until you succeed. If you cannot succeed this week, congratulations…keep trying!

The author tells us on pg. 29 why he looks up words. Do you agree with his reasons? Why or why not? What are some good reasons for wanting to increase your vocabulary. Make a list. Circle all the reasons that include blessing other people lives. Pick one way you can use the things in this chapter to bless someone else. DO IT!

Do you ever pick the wrong target? Make a list of the ways that you can hit the right target. How does your mission in life align with what the Savior wants you to do.

Serve someone else…serve them for all the right reasons. Record your experience!




3 comments:

  1. I loved how the chapter on the golf and the celery sticks mentioned the oil in the lamp for the lighthouse, although I kind of made a different connection with it than the author. I was reading in Matt. 25 this week, where Christ shares the parable of the 10 Virgins and how the five wise could not share the oil with the five foolish. Similarly, like what Lucado says, we need to be mindful that we are replenishing our spiritual oil that we personally need to be worthy to greet the Savior, oil that can only be obtained through personal worship and replenishment. However, it is this personal replenishment that enables us to more effectively serve those around us. I used to be troubled by the parable of the 10 virgins, wondering at the seemingly selfish nature of it, but have since seen the principle of self-replenishment and personal worship be true in my life. Loved that chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the brainstorming exercise with goals! As I brainstormed at first, I realized that I brainstormed "paths" not "goals." For instance, I would put down, "exercise 5 days a week" rather than the goal "be healthy enough to keep up with my kids and grandkids playing sports and hiking"; or "read my scriptures daily" rather than the goal of "be in tune with truth and the spirit." It made me really think of the difference between these two. I had a list of "to-dos" but not a list of ultimate vision and goals.

    This really made me consider why I do what I do. Do I do it to check off a list or make that list impressive? Or do I do it to achieve specific goals?

    The goal that stood out to me to work on seemed at first trivial, but it has stuck with me as what God would have me do...so I am doing it :). My "goal" is to catch up my son, Hyrum's, scrapbook to where it needs to be, and to do it, my "path" plan to achieve that is to do one page a day. I plan on doing it with my "mom's class" that I like to do daily (but more often than not don't...another goal!), and including my kids, encouraging them to do artsy stuff creating cards or scrapbook pages of their own, allowing them to be artistic, practice their handwriting and spelling, and serving others with their notes.

    This is also my thing I know I will fail at...to accomplish this goal, coupled with the goal of having the mom classes daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed last week. I'll "share" some of the things I did on here:

    I made a lexicon on Skydrive (like google drive) as a word document. I'm taking the words I learn and the words I've done word studies on, and putting them in here.

    Here are some ways you can increase your curiosity:
    Keep on studying and reading. I get most of my interests from reading about them, or people who've studied them.

    Along with that, talking to people. Everyone is interested in something different, and when you meet someone who is passionate about something, you get curios about why they feel that way. Or maybe you catch the fire, and get passionately involved with that subject

    When I brainstormed my goals, I found that a lot of them were geared towards other people, which was nice to see :).
    I made plans for three of them:
    *Be financially independent by the time I leave for my mission.

    Learn violin so that I can teach

    Work for my dad, get really good at appraisals.

    Publish a book or two :)

    *Know constellations

    Study our constellation chart

    Find good days to study the sky, and study it :)

    Teach my siblings (and friends?)

    Spot constellations in Goblin Valley!

    *Play Eponine in a Hale Center Theater production of Les Mis.

    Participate my best in VIP

    Work on my memorization and acting skills at home with home/informal performances

    Drink vinegar and honey and eat apples to help my voice

    Practice singing (especially Eponine's parts)

    Find a way to sub her cussing. :S


    Also, here are my answers to the intelligence/becoming level:

    Do I ever pick the wrong target? Yes. Constantly, I find myself focusing on what I'm wearing, or what others think about me. I'm working on thinking of what I think of myself, and what I need to do to be like the Savior.

    Ways I can hit the right target:

    Decide what the right target is :) For me, it's the gospel, and getting back to Heavenly Father.

    Listening to good music

    Reading and Studying the scriptures each day

    Praying over decisions, and in gratitude at least twice a day

    Looking at my choices, and making sure that they'll bring me to my goal.

    How does my mission align with what the Savior want me to do?

    My mission is to spread Christ's gospel and His love. I'm doing that now by studying, saving for a mission, and writing uplifting books. I'm also trying to find ways to help others feel love, and the freedom of living righteously.

    ReplyDelete